I recently got my new Macbook Pro 13" (MacBookPro9,2, mid-2012) to replace my 5-year-old Macbook Aluminum Unibody (Macbook 5,1, late-2008). Since I've upgrade my Macbook to latest 10.8.3, I was thinking whether it's feasible to move my old hard drive to my new Macbook Pro so that I don't need to re-setup my working environment. I tried to google it. So people said it just works but others reported they had some issues. I thought, since I have everything backup in Time Machine, why don't I just give it a try. Restoring from time machine won't take a very long time. So I gave it a shot, and yes, it just simply worked. I think OS will try to identify new hardware at first boot, but everything it just worked. Thank God I don't need to waste some time to restore everything from my Time Machine.
CAUTION: Make sure your old mac has latest OSX installed, so that your old machine can have the latest drivers for the latest hardware. Otherwise, it seems to be failed.
btw, after you move your old hard drive to the new Mac and you connect your Time Machine drive to your new Mac. Time Machine will ask you whether you want to "inherit" to use Time Machine or to "start a new backup". Inheriting existing Time Machine backup will change the data and the backup won't be able to store to the old Mac. I chose "inherit" because I am going to sell my old Macbook.
沒有留言:
張貼留言